I want putty to send a linefeed and carriage return everytime I press CR.
dylanthomasfan
2007-03-30 20:30:18 UTC

I am using putty to connect to a remote server, and sadly the remote
server (on which I have no configuration permissions) requires two CR--
one for CR and another for LF. Could you tell me what I need to
configure in PuTTy so that one CR results in both CR+LF?

Thanks.
David J Dachtera
2007-03-31 01:30:03 UTC
Post by dylanthomasfan
Hi,
I am using putty to connect to a remote server, and sadly the remote
server (on which I have no configuration permissions) requires two CR--
one for CR and another for LF. Could you tell me what I need to
configure in PuTTy so that one CR results in both CR+LF?
How doe sit respond if you press CTRL+J (<LF>) instead of <RETURN> (CTRL+M)?

In the "old days", UN*X folks and others called that the "New Line" key. Some
older terminals had a "NewLine" key, even.
--
David J Dachtera
dba DJE Systems

Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/
Thomas Dickey
2007-03-31 18:43:10 UTC
Post by David J Dachtera
Post by dylanthomasfan
I am using putty to connect to a remote server, and sadly the remote
server (on which I have no configuration permissions) requires two CR--
one for CR and another for LF. Could you tell me what I need to
configure in PuTTy so that one CR results in both CR+LF?
How doe sit respond if you press CTRL+J (<LF>) instead of <RETURN> (CTRL+M)?
In the "old days", UN*X folks and others called that the "New Line" key. Some
older terminals had a "NewLine" key, even.
If he has shell access (does not say what the "server" is), then he could use stty's
icrnl feature. If not, perhaps something can be made to send the automatic
newline escape sequence (which all vt100 emulators must implement - though I
recall some that don't ;-)

That would be something like

ESC [ 2 0 h
--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net
ftp://invisible-island.net
dylanthomasfan
2007-04-02 14:01:25 UTC
Post by Thomas Dickey
Post by David J Dachtera
Post by dylanthomasfan
I am using putty to connect to a remote server, and sadly the remote
server (on which I have no configuration permissions) requires two CR--
one for CR and another for LF. Could you tell me what I need to
configure in PuTTy so that one CR results in both CR+LF?
How doe sit respond if you press CTRL+J (<LF>) instead of <RETURN> (CTRL+M)?
In the "old days", UN*X folks and others called that the "New Line" key. Some
older terminals had a "NewLine" key, even.
Both Ctrl+J and Ctrl+M behaves exactly like a return key does: I have
to press Ctrl+J/M twice to get to the next prompt.

Any other ideas?
Post by Thomas Dickey
If he has shell access (does not say what the "server" is), then he could use stty's
icrnl feature. If not, perhaps something can be made to send the automatic
newline escape sequence (which all vt100 emulators must implement - though I
recall some that don't ;-)
That would be something like
ESC [ 2 0 h
I don't have shell access the server in question is not a *nix
terminal, but a VxWorks terminal.
Post by Thomas Dickey
Thomas E. Dickeyhttp://invisible-island.netftp://invisible-island.net
Thomas Dickey
2007-04-02 15:09:00 UTC
Post by dylanthomasfan
I don't have shell access the server in question is not a *nix
terminal, but a VxWorks terminal.
So you can't fix the server.

PuTTY has a setting for "Implicit CR in every LF" in the "Terminal" panel.
If you set that (and don't mind hitting CTRL/J rather than Enter),
that could work.
--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net
ftp://invisible-island.net
Simon Tatham
2007-04-02 15:15:43 UTC
Post by Thomas Dickey
PuTTY has a setting for "Implicit CR in every LF" in the "Terminal" panel.
If you set that (and don't mind hitting CTRL/J rather than Enter),
that could work.
Afraid not: that only affects the interpretation of the terminal
output, not the input.

I don't see any way to achieve this in current PuTTY without
modifying the source.
--
Simon Tatham What do we want? ROT13!
<***@pobox.com> When do we want it? ABJ!
dylanthomasfan
2007-04-14 16:52:27 UTC
Post by Simon Tatham
Post by Thomas Dickey
PuTTY has a setting for "Implicit CR in every LF" in the "Terminal" panel.
If you set that (and don't mind hitting CTRL/J rather than Enter),
that could work.
Afraid not: that only affects the interpretation of the terminal
output, not the input.
I don't see any way to achieve this in current PuTTY without
modifying the source.
--
Simon Tatham What do we want? ROT13!
Thanks, all.

Simon is right--I tried everything under the sun. Putty won't work for
me requirements. I have to use teraterm and teraterm is so not fun to
use (I connect to multiple machines with diffrent profiles and to
diffeerent IPs on different port#'s, and I have to enter the details
all the time).
m***@worldnet.att.net
2007-04-15 00:20:05 UTC
Putty won't work for me requirements. I have to use teraterm and
teraterm is so not fun to use (I connect to multiple machines with
diffrent profiles and to diffeerent IPs on different port#'s, and
I have to enter the details all the time).
I've used IVT before to talk to various embedded systems (including ones
running VxWorks) from Windows and it seemed to work well there. I was
typically only talking to one or two systems that had more or less the
same configuration, but I know IVT can set up many sessions with
different remembered details. I think there is also a way to launch
several predefined sessions at once - CREATE and CREATEGRP. See
http://home.wxs.nl/~ruurdb/IVT.HTM .

Standard disclaimers apply; I don't get money or other considerations
from any companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds